Choose five new words from the list below each week for your child. Write them out or print them and let the games begin!
- Where’s the word? – Take all words out of envelope and place them facing up. Ask your child to find a word (e.g. One) as fast as they can. Give clues as necessary (This word has 3 letters etc.,).
- What’s the Word? – Same as previous game except you change roles. Ask the child to pick a word from the envelope. They then have to describe it to you (eg. This word begins with an M, and ends in a y and has 5 letters “etc. Mammy.
- Kim’s Game – Present 3 words (or more/ less depending on your child’s confidece with their words) to your child. Ask the children to close their eyes, and then take one of the words away. Ask your child to open their eyes and see if they can remember the word you took way.
- Make my sentence! – All cards facing up. Make up a sentence (e.g. I am a shoe, but the sillier the better!) and ask the children to find the words, from their word envelopes, and put them in order, to make your sentence.
- Go Fish! – All cards facing down. Child and adult take turns and “fish” for a word. When a word is picked up, turn it over and see if you can read the word. If you can, you can keep the word. If you cannot, you must give the word to the other player. The person with the most “fish” (words) at the end of the game wins.